Solar power in New York, New York
There are Two major incentives available for residents of New York City:
- New York State’s Solar Equipment Tax Credit which may allow you to claim up to 25% or $5,000 of your costs as credits against your State Taxes, including the option to roll over any remainder to subsequent years.
- The Megawatt Block incentives which rebates which may apply to the up-front cost of a solar system.
Furthermore, New York State has a Net Metering system where the export of excess energy from your solar system will directly offset power used at other times of the day or year, allowing you to reap the entire benefits of any solar power you generate.
Even if you are not convinced about solar we recommend that at the very least you use the solar panel calculator to find out:
- How many solar panels you need to cover your power bill;
- How suitable your house is for solar;
- What incentives your house may be eligible for;
- The cost of solar panel installation in New York and whether you are eligible for zero down solar deals; and
- Your likely payback period and return on investment from installing solar
Estimate your solar savings
The average cost of installing residential solar panels in New York, New York in 2018 is $3.72 per watt. The average system size in the US is 6 kilowatts, which means the average price of a solar system in New York, NY is $18,600. (before claiming 30% tax credit and other rebates)
What does the cost of a real solar system look like?
Facts about installing a 3.01kW solar system in New York, NY
This system would offset 100% of your energy usage if your typical monthly bill is $125, however your situation may vary so try our solar calculator to get a result tailored to you.
Net cost of system
Cash - after 30% solar tax credit
3 Years 7 Months
Average payback time
Annual power production
levilized cost of solar energy
If you don't get solar
The forecast average utility price over the next 25 years
Cash flow graph based on cash purchase of this 3.01kW system
Life-time savings on this system over the next 25 years
(Prices shown after repayments of capital)
Solar companies in New York, NY that provide pricing through the Solar-Estimate marketplace
Average total cost of solar panel installation in New York
|System Size||Cash purchase
After 30% solar tax credit
After 30% solar tax credit
Design your own solar panel system for your home
Going solar in New York
Check out all of the ways energy providers of New York can help you be more energy efficient and save money.
The following programs are available:
|Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit||Federal||Personal Tax Credit|
|Residential Solar State Tax Credit||State||Personal Tax Credit|
|NY-Sun PV Incentive Program. Assuming residential band 8 at $0.30 per watt but reducing as capacity used||Utility||Rebate Program|
Find your local rebates and incentives
Please keep in mind that the best source of up-to-date information on incentives are the solar installers who specialize in your area.